I felt impressed to share some thoughts from a message that I’ve heard my dad preach. Even though the story that we draw these insights from is in the Old Testament, I believe it is relevant for today.
What to do when you don’t know what to do:
1. Recall God’s Faithfulness in the Past
- 2 Chronicles 20:3, 5-6 And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. And Jehoshaphat stood in the congregation of Judah and Jersualem, in the house of the LORD, before the new court. And said, O LORD God of our fathers, art not thou God in heaven? and rules not thou over all the kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand is there not power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee? (Emphasis added)
- 2 Chronicles 20:12 O our God, wilt thou not judge them? for we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee. (Emphasis added)
- 2 Chronicles 20:14-15 Then upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah,… came the Spirit of the LORD in the midst of the congregation; And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, (Emphasis added)
- 2 Chronicles 20:15- 17 Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow go ye down against them: behold, they come up by the cliff of ZIz; and ye shall find them at the end of the brook, before the wilderness of Jeruel. Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the LORD will be with you. (Emphasis added)
- 2 Chronicles 20:21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever. And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten. (Emphasis added)
I encourage you to practice these steps when you are facing something uncertain and seemingly impossible. Our response to the trouble and uncertainty around - whether political, relational, or personal - should be to lift our eyes unto the ONE whom our help cometh from! (Ps. 121:1-2)
May God bless you!